All applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Alberta and reside in northern Alberta (including all points north of Red Deer).
- Demonstrate a strong desire to become a band director.
- Be a current grade 12 student or have graduated from high school in 2020.
- Have a strong academic record.
- Enclose a transcript of high school marks (must contain signature of school official verifying authenticity).
- Demonstrate a strong desire to become a band director / music educator in a school setting.
- Be entering a post-secondary institution in the fall of 2021 in a faculty and program appropriate for becoming a band director (most likely music)
- Submit a 250 – 500 word essay, typed and double-spaced. Essay should clearly outline why the applicant wishes to pursue a career as a band director.
- Provide three letters of reference. At least one of these MUST be from your current band teacher. These letters should address the applicant’s demonstrated desire to pursue a career as a band director, potential for success and evidence of good citizenship as well as leadership skills.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Each year, prior to the Alberta International Band Festival, application forms and related materials will be made available to band directors and potential candidates via email and on the AIBF website. Applicants will be required to submit their applications so they are received by the assigned deadline each year.
The successful applicant will be selected based on the strength of his/her application by the AIBF Scholarship Selection Committee. The decision of the Committee will be final. The recipient will be announced on June 1st, 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE. They must be received on or before 5:00 PM on April 30th, 2021. Application link - https://forms.gle/md3RcQuwm3D9Mspn6